Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Vintage Craft Books - Pictures Speak a Thousand Words


On one of my vintage-good hunts I stumbled upon a collection of amazing craft books called "The Family Creative Workshop." As I started thumbing through the 23 volume set, I was overwhelmed with emotion: why had I never heard of these books before, and why isn't anything like this published today? Why were publishers so much cooler in 1974, 1975, and 1976?
The projects are well developed and either require a bit of skill or teach a unique skill - like flute carving, creating a vivarium, sewing without a pattern, winter sculpture, monoprinting, mukluk making... the list goes on and on. And the pictures... well, what can I say? I'm a picture loving gal. I could only afford a few precious volumes. I decided to grab the four that were in the best condition. I've posted a few of these to the 8 Jones Street store - I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!


No comments: