Wednesday, May 25, 2011

8 Books to celebrate World Vegetarian Week


Folks, we are at the end of World Vegetarian Week!  I was a lacto-ovo, fish-eating vegetarian from age 11 through 23. At 23, I began to eat ethically raised meat, prepared at home only. To this day, my family probably only eats meat 3 times a week, and mostly fish. When we do eat animals with legs, we choose "happy" animals - those who were vegetarian fed and on small local organic farms when possible. Eating ethically costs more - but it is so much better for the environment, your body, and it tastes better too!

Here is my list of 8 books to celebrate World Vegetarian Week (that I have read or cooked from - I'm sure there are more awesome veggie books out there - feel free to list them in "comments").

1) Diet for a Small Planet
The classic by Frances Moore Lappe. This is the original reason I went veggie at age 11 (well, that and finding stringy veins things in steak).


2) Vegetarian Planet
My college-days cooking bible.


3) Animal Liberation: The Definitive Classic of the Animal Movement (P.S.)
The most widely-read Singer tome. Not for the faint of heart (or weak of stomach).


4)Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking
One word: YUM!


5) The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook: Whole Foods To Nourish Pregnant And Breastfeeding Women - And Their Families
I was lost when I was nursing... I didn't know how to eat properly. This easy, delicious recipes in this book saved me!


6) Quick & Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
Another nursing life-saver, especially for those on an elimination diet.


7) Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery
A book for your youngling about a vegetarian vampire bunny.


8) The Ethics of What We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter
Co-written by Philopher/Ethicist Peter Singer, *the* guru.

No comments: