Thursday, May 19, 2011

Binding the Far Far Away summer quilt, the first attempt

I attempted to bind the Far Far Away summer quilt this weekend. I thought I knew what I was doing. Since I am a self-taught crafter, there are always bumps in the road, and I sure hit one this weekend. I had read tutorials on binding quilts, fondled my store-bought binding tape over and over, looked and visualized and planned. Alas, this weekend I will be ripping seams and binding all over again.

What happened?

1) I thought I could machine stitch the binding. Every single tutorial I read said to hand-stitch. I was cutting corners. Now I've got wasted thread, poked-through edges, and ironically it'll take me at least an hour to pick the thread from the delicate double gauze fabric.

2) My daughter woke up from her nap. See above. While this happening resulted in some nice pictures for our family album, it did not result in a successful quilt binding.

Lesson learned: slow down, work carefully, do it right. And put the machine away when the kid wakes up!

No comments: